Tuesday, August 30, 2011

IVF 3.0

To discuss IVF 3.0 I think it makes sense to first discuss the protocols I was on for the first two cycles.

IVF #1 had been what is commonly referred to as the Standard IVF Protocol. I took birth control for a few weeks before it began, then antagonist (Lupron) injections to suppress my body's natural hormones. After a suppression check at the doctor's office, I began gonadotropin injections (two brand names specifically - Menopur and Bravelle) twice a day to stimulate my ovaries to develop multiple follicles and eggs. When the follicles reached a certain size, and my hormone levels reached certain numbers, I administered a trigger shot of hCG (Ovidrel was the brand) which signals the ovaries to release the eggs around 36 hours later. 34 hours after the trigger shot the egg retrieval was performed under light anesthesia in the surgery center at the doctor's office.

IVF 2.0 was different. First of all, the doctor had me take DHEA twice a day after IVF #1 to try to improve my egg quality. And because my ovaries didn't respond very well to the antagonist protocol, this time we tried an agonist protocol, which my doctor referred to as an "estrogen-priming" protocol. This time there was no birth control pills and also no Lupron. I was on Menopur again, but not Bravelle. I was also on human growth hormone, called Saizen. This is the one that I totally screwed up and cost myself $555.55 on one day. To keep me from ovulating before the follicles and eggs were mature, I was also on Ganirelix towards the end of the stimulation period. I triggered with Ovidrel again for that cycle. As you now know, this cycle was also unsuccessful.

With a new doctor at a new (to us) clinic, I was told to stop taking the DHEA. Additionally, both Mr. Sprout and I had our chromosomes tested to make sure that we were both genetically normal. We are! Even still, we decided that the next time we tried IVF we'd have any blastocysts tested to make sure that we only transfer back genetically normal embryos when the time for transfer comes.

For IVF 3.0 new doc recommended a "Microflare protocol." The Microflare protocol is a special stimulation protocol designed to optimize ovarian response in women who have demonstrated a previous poor response to a routine protocol, or who may be at risk of having a poor response to fertility medications. Well, that sounds like me! The Microflare protocol consists of a combination of oral contraceptive pills, Lupron (diluted), and gonadotropins designed to maximize the ovarian response. The term “Microflare” is derived in two parts: “Micro” refers to the use of a diluted dose of Lupron, micrograms instead of milligrams; and “flare” refers to the stimulatory or flare effect of Lupron when given this way— hence the term Microflare.

While the Microflare protocol tends to work well for other poor responders, it did not work well at all for me. Even with the microLupron, Menopur, and another gonadotropin (Gonal-F), my ovaries failed to respond to this protocol and my cycle was canceled. No trigger, and no egg retrieval. At our follow-up appointment with the doctor he said he was surprised and disappointed in the result, based on my age and all my previous test results. He did say, however, that there was ONE last protocol he thought was worth trying before throwing in the towel on attempting IVF with my own eggs.

We decided to take a break for a month or two before we decided if we'd give it one last try.

No comments:

Post a Comment